Who We Are
At Zion Lutheran School, God’s love is at work in and through his people. In a nurturing environment and through academic excellence children grow in their love for learning and in their love of Jesus.
We believe that Christian education is a vital aspect of God’s mission, commanded by Him to the Church through the Great Commission, “Go, then, to all people everywhere and make them my disciples; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” Matthew 28:19
We believe that the purpose of Christian Education is to teach the Christian Faith through instruction in God’s Word and to learn to live a life of discipleship. We believe that God’s people need to learn their proper relationship to God and to their fellow man.We believe that effective education is carried on through quality learning programs that relate the Christian faith to every aspect of life.We believe that the Christian educator is committed to the task of providing a complete education for God’s people by meeting their Spiritual, Social, Emotional, Intellectual, and Physical needs.
We believe that the uniqueness of Christian education rests in this:
- Christian education views the student through the cross of Christ;
- Christian education is empowered by the Holy Spirit for accomplishing its purposes.
We believe that the Lutheran School’s uniqueness lies in:
- The impact of professional teachers who are Christians
- Adequate time for Christian instruction and training in many facets of the student’s life
- The benefit of the “Body of Christ” loving, living, and working together;
- The fact that the Lutheran School devotes its full energy to meeting student’s educational needs in a single setting.
We believe that a Christian education must flow from a philosophy based on the recognition that God has given all of us a life to be lived fully in response to the Gospel.
- We believe that the precise objectives of the curriculum of Zion Lutheran School must be based on the spiritual, social, and physical needs of the local, national, and world communities, based on God-centered, Bible-centered objectives.
- We believe that the family remains the fundamental influence on the child’s total education, and that Zion Lutheran Church and Zion Lutheran School must equip all adults for their important role in Christian Education.
- We believe that Zion Lutheran School was established to accomplish the mission of reflecting the love of Christ. (I Corinthians 9:22, Philippians 2:1-4)
- We believe God’s truth is clearly revealed in his inerrant Word. (II Peter 1:20-21,Isaiah 55:10-11)
- We believe faithful Christian ministry will emphasize salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 2:8-10, I Corinthians 2:2)
- We believe followers of Jesus Christ will demonstrate good works and the fruit of the Spirit which is: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Galatians 5:22-23, Matthew 7)
- We believe that every Christian is called by God to live a life of eternal significance and each person has been uniquely gifted to be in God’s service. (Romans 12:1, I Peter 4:10)
- We believe that God is creative by nature. Through His unparalleled innovation, all things can be accomplished. (John 14:12, Isaiah 43:18-19)
- We believe integrity, not popularity, is God’s standard for faithful Christian leaders. (Isaiah 51:7-8, Galatians 1:10)
- We believe that God is honored by excellence in ministry. (Ecclesiastes 9:10, I Corinthians 9:24-27,II Peter 1:5-11)
Compelled by our Mission Statement and guided by our values, we shall endeavor to:
- Worship the Lord in spirit and in truth. (John 4:21, Hebrews 10:23-25)
- Honor the Lord with Biblical, faithful and true teaching. (II Timothy 4:1-5)
- Inspire God’s people (students and families) to share their faith naturally and eagerly. (Acts 4:19-20, I Peter 3:15)
- Provide excellence in academic teaching in all curricular areas of the day, integrating and weaving our faith throughout every aspect. (II Timothy 2:15, John 7:16)
- Honor the Lord with music and song, praising Him with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. (Psalm 33:1-4, Ephesians 5:19-20)
- Provide Christian care, counseling and Godly discipline to help carry each other’s burdens. (Galatians 6:2, Matthew 25:34-36, Matthew 18)
- Provide excellence in the Christian education of God’s children. (Proverbs 22:6, Deuteronomy 4:4-7)
- Encourage, train, and equip young people to live faithful lives in their youth. (Ecclesiastes 11:9-10, I Timothy 4:12)
- Conduct a ministry of intentional influence beyond our community and support mission endeavors both near and far. (Luke 12:17-18, 21:16-17)
- Maintain our facilities as good stewards of God’s gracious gifts. (Haggai 1:1-5, James 1:17)
- Provide opportunities for Christian fellowship and mutual encouragement. (Hebrews 10:23-25)
Zion Lutheran School began in 1962 with its first Preschool and Kindergarten classes in the basement of the church building. Out of those original students, Zion Lutheran School has grown into a program of over 300 students, preschool through eighth grade. An addition with four classrooms and an office was built in 1967. In 1979, three more classrooms and a library were added over a basement with storage, as well as a gym and additional restrooms. In 2000, six new classrooms, new office space with a wellness room and teacher workroom, and additional restrooms provided much needed space. In 2011-2012, we were blessed to celebrate our 50th school year, and we praise God for the many families who have shared their children with us through the years.